For over 85 years, the Strong Interest Inventory® instrument has provided time-tested, research validated insights to help individuals in their search for a rich, fulfilling career. As one of the most respected and widely used career exploration assessments in the world, it has been used extensively in educational institutions and organisations of all sizes.
Strong Interest Inventory®
Explore the Model
For providing a theoretical structure to the Strong, in 1974, John Holland’s psychology-based codes were incorporated into the instrument. Holland’s theory is based on four main assumptions:
- Most people can be categorised into six themes and each person may be characterised by one theme or some combination.
- Job environments can be divided into these same six Themes and each environment is dominated by a particular type of person. Thus, the personality types of co-workers, as much as job requirements, establish the working tenor of a given occupation.
- People search for environments that let them exercise their skills and abilities, express their attitudes and values, take on problems and roles they find stimulating and satisfying and avoid chores or responsibilities they find distasteful or formidable.
- Behaviour is determined by an interaction between a person’s personality and the characteristics of his or her working environment. Factors such as job performance, satisfaction and stability are influenced by this interaction.
As shown below, Holland’s theory organises the six Themes by placing them at the six points of a hexagon with those presumed to be the most closely related located adjacent to each other and those most dissimilar located across the hexagon from each other. The order in which they fall around the hexagon is frequently called the R-I-A-S-E-C order. The Strong is the only empirically derived RIASEC instrument.
Why Strong Interest Inventory® ?
- Empower your clients to discover their true interests so they can expand and explore various career options that will keep them engaged.
- Relates your client’s interest patterns to those of satisfied workers within an occupation.
- Presents results on variety of complementary themes and scales.
- When combined with the MBTI Form M Career Report, provides your clients with a complete career development picture.
Certification in the Strong Interest Inventory® Instrument
You need to be trained and certified to access and use the Strong Interest Inventory (SII) instrument. This ensures that the instrument is used for the purpose for which it was designed and that it is being administered and interpreted correctly.
The Strong Accreditation Program qualifies you to administer the SII® instrument in a professional and ethical manner. Upon successful completion of the program, you will gain a certificate of qualification to purchase and use both the instrument and its reports.
To download the program brochure, click here.
Wish to use SII to help individuals explore and craft more fulfilling careers?
Speak to or Email to our Consultant